I’ve been a bit crappy about blogging. I have lots of things I want to say, but life gets a bit a way from you sometimes. But, in honor of another year, and a true embracement (is that a word?) of my 40s, I submit to you a #tbt.
Wow! I’m 40. How the hell did that happen? But, I’d like to think I’ve learned a few things along the way. And, although much of this is cliche, I think (put together) it makes up a pretty good life philosophy. Enjoy!
1. Don’t tackle any difficult subject before a cup of coffee.
2. If you want to be treated as a grown up, wear heels.
3. Endorphins are a much better drug than nicotine.
4. Those who matter, don’t care; and those who care, don’t matter.
5. Getting lost is half the fun.
6. Your children are a reflection of what they see. Make sure they see the right things.
7. Throwing a perfect spiral is a skill every person should know.
8. Every girl should know how to build a shelf; every boy should know how to sew a button.
9. Always bring an umbrella, you never know when the skies might change.
10. Friendships need to be cultivated and cared for.
11. If you want something to be; don’t wait for others to do it.
12. Don’t assume people know how you feel and what’s important to you.
13. Accept people for who they are, and don’t expect them to be you.
14. Love fully and deeply.
15. Karma’s a bitch. What goes around truly does come around.
16. Don’t worry about other people. Do the right thing for you.
17. Unless you’re a paid athlete or a trail guide, don’t wear shorts to work.
18. Trust your gut. If it doesn’t feel right, it’s probably not right.
19. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it is most likely (whether you choose to believe it or not) a duck.
20. You get more bees with honey.
21. Food isn’t love. Unless, it’s those cinnamon sugar pita chips… that stuff is crack!
22. Nothing is more inspiring than a great mix tape.
23. Nothing’s worse than a hangover; except a hangover when you have children.
24. If you’re afraid of your children, they grow up to be terrifying.
25. First impressions last. You never know who’s paying attention.
26. Turn off your phone some times. Be present where you are.
27. Unless someone is hurt or hurting another, it can wait til the morning.
28. Laugh… Laugh a lot
29. You never know when you’ll fall in love. Be ready for it when it happens.
30. Learn something new every day.
31. Keep moving. It’s basic physics. A body in motion tends to stay in motion.
32. There is no substitute for a good book.
33. Stress and anger will make you sick. Smile and breathe.
34. Fake it til you make it. But, also don’t be afraid to admit it when you don’t know something.
35. Go on vacation. A lot. Make the time to do nothing.
36. There will come a time when husbands and children and bills will be your priority. Enjoy your youth and freedom while you have it.
37. A crappy day at the lake is vastly better than any day anywhere else.
38. Like the queen says, “keep calm and carry on.”
39. Don’t do anything half-assed. Go all in, all the time.
40. 40 is just a number. Not a state of mind. And, never be afraid to act the fool. Life is too short!